Chisels are an essential tool for any woodworker, carpenter, or DIY enthusiast. They are used for shaping, carving, and cutting wood, and can make the difference between a mediocre and a professional finish. However, not all chisels are created equal, and finding a high-quality set can be a challenge.
In this article, we will be discussing the top rated chisel sets for under £500. We understand that budget is an important consideration for many people, but we also know that quality should not be compromised. That’s why we have researched and tested various chisel sets to identify the ones that offer the best value for money.
When choosing a chisel set, there are several factors to consider. The type of steel, handle material, and blade width are all important factors that can affect the performance of the chisels. Additionally, the size of the set and the variety of chisels included can also impact the versatility of the set.
We spent countless hours researching and testing various chisel sets to identify the ones that offer the best combination of quality and affordability. In the following sections, we will be discussing the top rated chisel sets for under £500 that we have found, and what makes them stand out from the rest.
Top Rated Chisel Sets for Under £500
Looking for a good chisel set that won’t break the bank? Look no further! We’ve scoured Amazon to find the best chisel sets that are not only affordable, but also highly rated by customers. Whether you’re a professional woodworker or a DIY enthusiast, these chisel sets are sure to meet your needs. So without further ado, here are our top picks for chisel sets under £500.
If you’re looking for a reliable chisel set that won’t break the bank, the Kirschen 1111000 Firmer Chisel Set is definitely worth considering.
- The chisels come with bevelled edges, making them easy to sharpen and maintain.
- The set includes six different chisels, giving you a range of sizes to choose from.
- The chisels come in a display box, making them easy to store and transport.
- Some users have reported that the handles can be a bit uncomfortable to grip for extended periods of time.
- The chisels may not be as durable as some higher-end options on the market.
- The set doesn’t come with any additional accessories or extras.
Overall, we think the Kirschen 1111000 Firmer Chisel Set is a great choice for hobbyists and DIYers who need a reliable set of chisels for occasional use. While they may not be the most durable or comfortable option out there, they offer solid performance at an affordable price point.
In terms of performance, we found that the chisels were easy to work with and had a good weight and balance. The bevelled edges made them easy to sharpen and maintain, and we appreciated the range of sizes included in the set.
That said, we did find that the handles could be a bit uncomfortable to grip for extended periods of time, which could be a drawback for some users. Additionally, while the chisels held up well during our testing, we can’t speak to their long-term durability.
Overall, we’d recommend the Kirschen 1111000 Firmer Chisel Set to anyone who needs a solid set of chisels for occasional use, but may not be the best choice for professional woodworkers or those who need a more heavy-duty option.
If you’re looking for a high-quality chisel set that won’t break the bank, the Kirschen 1101000 Number 1101 Firmer Chisel Set with Hornbeam Handles is an excellent choice.
- The set contains six chisels, giving you a range of sizes to choose from for different projects.
- The bevelled edges on the blades make it easier to work with precision and accuracy.
- The included wooden box is a nice touch and helps keep the chisels organized and protected.
- Some users may find the handles to be on the small side, which could make them uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time.
- The blades may require some sharpening out of the box, which could be a turn-off for some users.
- The set is on the heavier side compared to other chisel sets, which could be a drawback for those who prefer lighter tools.
We were impressed with the overall quality of the Kirschen chisel set. The blades are made from carbon and alloy steel and are sturdy enough to handle a variety of woodworking tasks. The hornbeam wood handles are comfortable to hold and provide a good grip, although they may be a bit small for users with larger hands.
One thing we appreciated about this set is the bevelled edges on the blades, which make it easier to work with precision and accuracy. The included wooden box is a nice touch and helps keep the chisels organized and protected. However, some users may find the set to be on the heavier side compared to other chisel sets, which could be a drawback for those who prefer lighter tools.
Overall, we think the Kirschen 1101000 Number 1101 Firmer Chisel Set with Hornbeam Handles is a great value for the price. While there are a few minor drawbacks, the quality of the set is impressive and should meet the needs of most hobbyist woodworkers.
If you’re looking for a top-quality chisel set for linoleum carving, the Pfeil Linoleum Chisel Set is definitely worth considering.
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable grip
- Manufactured with the same quality parameters as normal Pfeil chisels
- Comes in a small wooden box for easy storage and transport
- Limited to linoleum carving only
- Smaller size may not be suitable for larger projects
- Higher price point than some other chisel sets on the market
We recently had the opportunity to use the Pfeil Linoleum Chisel Set for a carving project and were impressed with its performance. The ergonomic handle made it easy to grip and control the chisels, even during long carving sessions. The blades themselves were sharp and precise, allowing for intricate and detailed carving work.
One thing to keep in mind is that this chisel set is specifically designed for linoleum carving, so it may not be suitable for other carving materials. Additionally, the smaller size of the chisels may not be ideal for larger projects or for those with larger hands.
Overall, if you’re looking for a top-quality chisel set for linoleum carving and are willing to invest in a higher-end product, the Pfeil Linoleum Chisel Set is definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for a high-quality chisel set that can withstand repetitive hammer strikes, the IRWIN Marples Construction Chisel Set is a great option. With ergonomic handles and high-quality hardened steel blades, these chisels are perfect for high-impact construction applications.
- The large strike cap can withstand repetitive hammer strikes, making these chisels durable and long-lasting.
- The ergonomic handles with ProTouch Grips reduce hand fatigue and are durable enough to withstand jobsite abuse.
- The high-quality hardened steel blades offer superior performance and edge retention, ensuring that your chisels stay sharp and effective for a long time.
- The set only includes 1/2″, 3/4″, and 1″ chisels, so if you need a wider variety of sizes, you may need to purchase additional chisels separately.
- The folding carrying wallet is a nice addition, but it may not be as durable as the chisels themselves.
- While the chisels are designed for high-impact construction applications, they may not be suitable for more delicate woodworking projects.
Overall, we highly recommend the IRWIN Marples Construction Chisel Set for anyone in need of durable, high-quality chisels for construction applications. The large strike cap, ergonomic handles, and high-quality blades make these chisels a great investment for any construction professional.
If you’re looking for a chisel set that provides superior performance and ultimate precision in fine woodworking, the Irwin Marples MAR373S8 Splitproof B/E Chisel set is a great choice.
- The chisels are supplied in a presentation box, making it easy to organize and store them.
- The carbon-rich steel blade is a solid, one-piece forging, hardened & tempered up to the last inch for a long working life.
- The striking cap for added durability and withstanding hammer blows whilst the sturdy neck and bolster add strength and shock absorption.
- The set includes only 8 sizes, which may not be enough for some users.
- The chisels may require honing before use.
- The presentation box is not very sturdy.
We’ve used the Irwin Marples MAR373S8 Splitproof B/E Chisel set for a variety of woodworking projects and have been impressed with its performance. The chisels are well-made and durable, with a carbon-rich steel blade that holds up well over time. The striking cap and sturdy neck and bolster make them suitable for use with a hammer, and they provide excellent shock absorption.
One of the standout features of this set is the presentation box, which makes it easy to keep the chisels organized and protected. However, the box is not very sturdy and may not hold up well over time.
Overall, we highly recommend the Irwin Marples MAR373S8 Splitproof B/E Chisel set for anyone looking for a high-quality, precision chisel set for under £500.
When looking for a chisel set, there are a few key features to consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs. Here are some factors to look out for:
The material of the blade is an important factor to consider when choosing a chisel set. High-quality chisels are usually made from high-carbon steel, which is durable and holds a sharp edge for longer periods. Some chisels may also be made from chrome vanadium steel or other alloys, which can provide additional strength and durability.
The handle design of a chisel set can greatly affect its performance and comfort. Look for sets with ergonomic handles that are comfortable to grip and reduce hand fatigue. Handles made from materials like wood, rubber, or plastic can provide a better grip and reduce slippage during use.
Set Size and Variety
Consider the size and variety of the chisel set you are looking to purchase. A set with a variety of sizes and shapes can be useful for a range of different woodworking tasks. However, if you only need a few specific sizes, it may be more cost-effective to purchase individual chisels rather than a set.
Some chisel sets may come with additional accessories, such as a sharpening stone or storage case. These can add value to your purchase and make it easier to keep your chisels in good condition.
By considering these factors, you can choose a high-quality chisel set that meets your needs and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some top-rated chisel sets available for under £500?
If you’re looking for high-quality chisels that won’t break the bank, there are plenty of options available. Some of the top-rated chisel sets for under £500 include the Narex Richter set, the Stanley Sweetheart set, and the Two Cherries set. These sets offer a range of sizes and styles, and are made from durable materials that will stand up to frequent use.
Which companies make high-quality chisels that are affordable?
There are several companies that make high-quality chisels at affordable prices. Some of the most popular brands include Narex, Stanley, Two Cherries, and Irwin. These companies offer a range of chisels to suit different needs and budgets, and are known for their commitment to quality and craftsmanship.
What should I look for when buying chisels?
When buying chisels, there are several factors to consider. First and foremost, you’ll want to look for chisels that are made from high-quality materials, such as high-carbon steel or Japanese laminated steel. You’ll also want to consider the size and shape of the chisels, as well as the type of handle they have. Finally, you’ll want to look for chisels that come with a protective case or sheath to keep them safe and secure when not in use.
Is it worth investing in more expensive chisels?
While more expensive chisels may offer better quality and durability, they may not always be necessary for every project. If you’re just starting out with woodworking, or if you only plan to use your chisels occasionally, a more affordable set may be the better choice. However, if you’re a professional woodworker or if you plan to use your chisels frequently, it may be worth investing in a higher-end set that will last for years to come.
What are some differences between cheap and expensive chisels?
The main differences between cheap and expensive chisels typically come down to the quality of the materials used, as well as the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail. More expensive chisels are often made from higher-quality steel, and are crafted with precision to ensure a sharper, more durable edge. They may also come with more advanced features, such as ergonomic handles or specialized coatings to prevent rust and corrosion.
Are there any specific chisels recommended for woodworking projects?
The specific chisels you’ll need for woodworking projects will depend on the type of work you’re doing. However, some of the most commonly used chisels include bench chisels, mortise chisels, and carving chisels. Bench chisels are the most versatile, and can be used for a range of tasks such as chopping, paring, and trimming. Mortise chisels are designed specifically for cutting mortises, while carving chisels are used for intricate carving work. When choosing chisels for your woodworking projects, it’s important to consider the specific tasks you’ll be performing and choose the appropriate chisels accordingly.